HP LaserJet Enterprise MFP M431
This flowchart highlights the general processes to follow to quickly isolate and solve printer hardware problems.
Each row depicts a major troubleshooting step. Follow a “yes” answer to a question to proceed to the next major step. A “no” answer indicates that more testing is needed. Go to the appropriate section in this chapter, and follow the instructions there. After completing the instructions, go to the next major step in this troubleshooting flowchart.
- Power on
Is the printer on and does a readable message display?
• Basic printer functions should start up when the printer is connected into an electrical outlet and the power switch is pushed to the on position.
• During normal operation cooling fans and/or motors should be operating. Place a hand over fan intake or exhaust vents to determine if the fan or fans are spinning. Lean close to the printer to hear motors rotating.
• If fans and/or motors are operating, the dc side of the power supply is functioning.
• Always make sure that the printer is plugged into a knownfunctioning wall receptacle. Remove power strips and plug the printer directly into a wall receptacle.
• For more information, see Troubleshooting power-on or blank control panel problems on page 198
• After the control panel display is functional, see step 2.
- Control panel messages
Does the message Ready display on the control panel?
• After the errors have been corrected, go to step 3.
• Use the control panel message document (CPMD) section in this manual to correct any displayed error messages.
- Event log
Open the Troubleshooting menu and print an event log to see the history of errors with this printer.
Does the event log print?
• If the event log does not print, check for error messages.
• If paper jams inside the printer, see the jams section of the printer service manual.
• If error messages display on the control panel when trying to print an event log, see the control panel message document (CPMD) section of this manual.
• After successfully printing and evaluating the event log, see step 4.
- Information pages
Open the Reports menu and print the configurat ion pages to verify that all the accessories are installed.
Are all the accessories installed?
• If accessories that are installed are not listed on the configuration page, remove the accessory and reinstall it.
• Make sure that the most recent firmware is installed. See the firmware upgrade section of this manual for more information.
• After evaluating the configuration pages, see step 5.
- Print quality
Does the print quality meet the customer's requirements?
• Compare the images with the sample defects in the Imagequality troubleshooting section of this manual.
• Solve print-quality and copy-quality issues as needed.
• After the print quality is acceptable, see step 6.
Can the customer print successfully from the host computer?
• Verify that all I/O cables are connected correctly and that a valid IP address is listed on the HP Jetdirect configurat ion page.
• If error messages display on the control panel or appear in the event log, see the control-panel message document (CPMD) section of this manual.
• For more information on troubleshooting these issues, see Performance and connectivity troubleshooting.
• When the customer can print from the host computer, this is the end of the troubleshooting process.