IQ1 Image Quality Entry RAP
Use this RAP to determine the source of an image quality problem.
Perform the steps that follow:
- Discuss the IQ problem with the customer to fully understand the defect and the modes in which it occurs. Produce the customer job that displays the customer’s IQ defect.
NOTE: If the customer is using Toner Save mode, explain that this will lighten the image to save toner. Standard mode (toner save disabled) should be used for image quality problem solving.
NOTE: When border erase is switched off, an image defect within 5mm of the sheet edge is acceptable. Border erase only affects the printed image from the IOT, so scanned images saved to USB stick will have edge to edge images.
NOTE: Long runs of duplex or running LVF BM jobs may result in lighter prints. If this occurs adjust the darkness using the Darken Image tool on the UI. From the UI select Device then Tools. Scroll down to Darken Image. Check the position of the Darken Image tool and reset to zero before proceeding.
- Enter Customer Administrator Tools, GP 24. Press the Machine Status button. Select Device / Tools / App Settings / Copy. Disable the Toner Saver mode if it is not already disabled. At the end of the IQ procedure, set the Toner Saver mode back to the original setting.
- Check the condition of the paper. Do not use incorrectly cut paper, damp paper, paper with rough edges, badly drilled paper, paper with wrapper wax or glue. Paper and media should be stored flat, enclosed in wrappers, in a cool dry environment.
- Check that the paper is within specifications, GP 20.
- Check that paper tray guides are set to the correct paper size.
- Check that the document guides on the SPDH are set correctly.
- Check the original documents for defects. If the documents are damaged passing through the SPDH, perform the 305C Damaged Documents RAP.
- Go to dC122 Fault History. Check for any fault codes associated with the print cartridge, fuser module, LED print head or the paper path from the registration roll, PL 80.17 Item 5 to the fuser module, PL 10.8 Item 1. These may contribute to image quality faults. If found, fix these faults before continuing with this RAP.
- Clean the paper path sensors that follow:
– Tray 1 TAR sensor, PL 80.10 Item 5.
– Tray 2 TAR sensor, PL 80.10 Item 5.
– Registration sensor, PL 80.17 Item 7.
NOTE: The Scan to USB option must be made available by the System Administrator. If Authentication or Accounting has been enabled on the device, you may have to enter login details to access the Scan To features.